Quick video on the five things California employers need to pay attention to in 2017.
(Sorry for the wind noise in the video.)
I briefly discuss the following five issues:
1) Augustus v. ABM Security Services: A new California Supreme Court decision about whether rest breaks during which security guards were required to monitor a pager for a call actually counts as a rest break under California law. Short answer: No. The Court held that the guards had to be completely relieved of all duties during the rest break. I’ll write more about this decision in the coming weeks.
2) Local ordinances banning criminal history inquiries, such as Los Angeles’ new prohibitions staring in 2017.
3) Local paid sick leave requirements (such as San Diego and Los Angeles).
4) Local minimum wage ordinances.
5) Arbitration agreements and class action waivers.