Today, May 12, 2020, Governor Newsom announced guidelines for businesses, including restaurants, to continue to open under the “expanded” Phase 2 in California.
Early Stage 2 business that were permitted to reopen on May 8 included:
- Curb-side Retail
- Childcare for those outside of the essential workforce
Expanded Stage 2 businesses that will be permitted to reopen if the county that they operate in obtain a variance from the state that would permit businesses to reopen include:
- Office-based businesses (telework remains strongly encouraged)
- Select services: car washes, pet grooming, and landscape gardening
- Destination retail, including shopping malls and swap meets
- Dine-in restaurants (other amenities, like bars or gaming areas, are not permitted in Stage 2)
- Outdoor museums, and open gallery spaces and other public spaces with modifications
- Schools with modifications
As of today, only two counties, Butte County and El Dorado County, have obtained the variance to permit expanded Stage 2 businesses to reopen in those counties.
The state’s guidance for dine-in restaurants is here: https://covid19.ca.gov/pdf/guidance-dine-in-restaurants.pdf
The state’s general checklist for dine-in restaurants is here: https://covid19.ca.gov/pdf/checklist-dine-in-restaurants.pdf