[Update: The Los Angeles City Council is voting tomorrow (March 27, 2020) at 11 am. Here is the website:
Live broadcast of the City Council meeting will be here: HTTPS://WWW.LACITY.ORG/GOVERNMENT/FOLLOW-MEETINGS/CITY-COUNCIL-MEETINGS
Members of the public who wish to participate in public comment to the Council should call (669) 900-6833 and use Meeting ID No. 459 499 150 and then press #. Press # again when prompted for participant ID.]
As I wrote about earlier this week, Los Angeles City Council is considering a number of ordinances that will require businesses to provide additional paid sick leave or other benefits to employees during the coronavirus pandemic.
The City Council will review and possibly vote on the new ordinance tomorrow, Friday March 27, 2020 during an emergency meeting. The ordinance would provide additional paid sick leave to employees who work in the City of Los Angeles. The ordinance, provides the following:
- Employees who have worked for an employer from February 2, 2020 to March 4, 2020 would receive at least 80 hours of paid sick leave.
- Reasons that an employee could use the paid sick leave include:
- time off because a “public health official or health provider requires or recommends the Employee isolate or self-quarantine to prevent the spread of COVID-19”;
- the employee takes time off because they are at least 65 years old or has a health condition that puts them at risk;
- the employee is off of work because the business is closed in response to a public official’s closure recommendation;
- the employee needs to care for a family member who is not sick, but who public health officials or healthcare providers have required or recommended self-quarantine;
- the employee needs to provide care to family member whose senior care provider, school, or child care provider is closed.
The full text of the proposed ordinance can be read here.
Businesses impacted by this ordinance should contact City Council and voice their concerns. In addition, they should contact the City Council to see how they can attend the meeting tomorrow on-line.